Sunday, April 24, 2011

NaBloPoMo 24: Happy Easter

To encounter Jesus is existentially difficult. It can make one feel uncomfortable, and it can even be considered scary. Today's society has continued to build a strong pressure to reinterpret the resurrection, to explain it in scientific terms, or the choice has sadly become to not deal with it at all.
My father taught me to look to the truth in all religious organizations. "What lies in a man's heart is what is closest to God." I have held an open heart since that time that we sat in the old kitchen back in Arkansas. My mother taught me to believe in God and all of the mystery, even if I did not understand it. This, I have learned...is faith.
For this Easter day post, I celebrate the wisdom that comes from those I hold in high regard:

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples." ~Dalai Lama

"In heaven, all is peace and gladness. But, alas, all is not so on earth!" ~Pope Benedict XVI

No one can live very long without love. We need to give love to others, and we need to receive it ourselves. God hardwired that yearning into our nature. It's His signature on our soul.~Archbishop Chaput (First Native American Archbishop in the United States)

“Some of the greatest battles will be fought within the silent chambers of your own soul.” ~Ezra Taft Benson (13th President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)




2 comments:

  1. Happy Easter, Lea :-) I'm borrowing Chaput's quote for FB! It really resonated with me.

    ReplyDelete