Saturday, April 30, 2011

NaBloPoMo 30: Free Falling

Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?
~Frida Kahlo

Being in love with "stuff" in your life, is only a temporary high, and can cause you to become obsessive, intense...and plain, old cranky. Being obsessed with material things is not healthy for the soul. I have observed some friends that seem to feel like they have a void in their life, so they simply fill it with things....they buy "things". The scary part is that their "things" become more and more expensive, bigger, and shinier. I ask -- does this stuff fill their life with more meaning?


Only they can answer that question for themseves, but I see them buy stuff when they are depressed, buy stuff to show others their love, giving it without words, and they seem emotionally disconnected. I think it may be a way to not deal with emotions, kind of like blocking that connection, to "buy", rather than to talk, share, or connect.


Life is certainly a mystery, I can tell you that. As we get older in life, we learn that we know more about what we "didn't know" when we were young. We learn to pick ourselves up after tragedy, or hardship, and we learn to have goals. For those of us that have a shorter shelf life, I can honestly say that lusting after material things, yearning for better, shinier things, will leave you empty in the end. I can say this because I have struggled financially all of my life. From a devastating marriage to the hardship of divorce, to the perils of single parenting...I have not fell into the trap of material lusting...I had more important things to keep me busy! I have fought the fight to keep a roof over our heads, to put food on the table, to play, sing and act goofy...to be parent, friend, counselor, laundress, chef, and comedian. There was never any money for great shiny things....nor the time to sit around and worry about what I didn't have. We simply survived with laughter!


I am happy. I am in love with life. I am sharing my love of life with my kids, so that they have that happiness inside them...no matter what the future brings. When we watched the Royal wedding, we didn't see the dress, the hair, the celebrities...we saw William's subtle flushed face, Kate's infectious smile....his whisper to her that "she looked beautiful....beautiful". The wedding was not pomp and circumstance for me....it was hope. It was a magic moment that I was glad me and the kids were able to see together.


So, my last thought for this LAST NaBloPoMo post is simply to share a quote from a favorite poet:


"To live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else. "
~Emily Dickinson

2 comments:

  1. well done, Lea! I really enjoyed reading your posts and this one, so true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just lovely! On my list of favorites <3

    ReplyDelete